Are you thinking of hiring a tree removal professional? You should make sure you choose trustworthy companies by considering these important factors.
We all know the value of having trees on our property, whether they provide shade or privacy. However, a damaged or dead tree can pose a serious risk to you and your family, especially during a storm or other disaster. Especially during storms and other disasters, heavy branches on top of your house can break or fall off, causing serious damage.
For this reason, it is highly recommended that you hire a professional to remove the tree. Although you may be tempted to do it yourself, tree removal can actually be dangerous. It’s a job that requires extensive knowledge and experience to safely and properly remove the tree.
The hard part is to eliminate the easy way out, to hire a reliable contractor. Below are some of the things that you should consider when choosing the right tree removal company.
1. Make sure that the company is legitimate.
Unfortunately, the tree removal industry is not immune from scammers trying to make a quick buck from unsuspecting customers. To make sure a company is legitimate, you need to check two things
- Insurance – A reputable company will have a liability insurance policy that is specific to tree felling. The former ensures that any damage to your home or property caused by the company is covered, while the latter protects you and the company’s employees in case an employee is injured while working on your property. This will also protect you from lawsuits if something untoward happens while the company is cutting down trees.
- Qualifications and Licenses – Make sure that all your employees have the proper training. Also, ask them where they got their certifications. Two professional organizations that provide credentials to reputable tree services are the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) and the Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA). In addition to their credentials, the company should be able to explain the tools and techniques they will utilize to safely remove your trees. A trustworthy company will be able to provide you with a copy of their business license for your peace of mind.
- Equipment and Safety Gear – It is important to make sure that the company you choose has all the necessary equipment and safety gear for the tree removal job. For your part, it is important that you tell them exactly what you need done so you can assess whether they have the right tools to perform the task. Safety equipment is also very important to ensure the safety of the workers as well as the safety of your property. At the very least, helmets with face shields, safety glasses, and steel-toed boots should be used. Turn away anyone who comes to work without the proper safety equipment.
- Services Offered – Check the services offered by the company before you contract them for the job. For example, after the tree is removed, will they haul it away or leave it? Will they grind the tree stumps or do they have other plans? Will they clean up the fallen leaves and twigs or will the customer clean them up? These are also important factors to consider when choosing a logging company, so you need to ask these questions to know the scope and limitations of the services they offer and to make sure that they know your expectations. Be sure to get these in writing.
- BBB Accreditation – A BBB accredited company is one that you can trust. They are committed to honest and ethical practices, and if a BBB accredited company receives a complaint and does not resolve it, they may be expelled from the BBB.
- Written Quotes – These days, it is standard for legitimate companies to provide written quotes. Make sure that everything is included in the quote and that it is clearly written so that there is no room for misunderstanding. If a contractor seems hesitant to provide a written estimate, it is best to look elsewhere.
- Comparison store – Prices and services vary from company to company. Keep in mind that prices can be affected by a variety of factors, such as whether one company has better equipment for a particular job than another, whether the company is in demand, or whether there will be downtime. Also keep in mind that while price is usually the determining factor when purchasing a product or service, it is not the only factor when it comes to tree services. Tree services are very risky, and you cannot put a price on the peace of mind that comes from hiring an experienced, professional, and well-equipped company.